1982 Grand Banks 42 Europa
Yacht price :
"Recognized throughout the world on every ocean for quality and seaworthiness"
This Grand Banks 42 Europa is an exceptional candidate not to be confused with other similar looking trawlers. The level of detail and improvements that "Confetti" has received is astounding. To begin with GB 42 Europas of this vintage are considered rare in terms of numbers built and none of them have been the fortunate recipient to the amount of improvements and continual care as "Confetti". From the fuel tanks to the teak decks she is in beautiful condition but the fact that she is equipped with Wesmar stabilizers, Keypower bow thruster and held in a LLC makes this a one of kind opportunity. The next owners will truly benefit from years of improvements and non stop care "Confetti" has received.
- Grand Banks
- 42 Europa
- Long Beach, CA, US
- Available for sale in U.S. waters:
- Vessel Name:
- Boat Type:
- Hull Material:
- Hull Type:
- Hull Color:
- Ken Smith
- Flag of Registry:
Dimensions & Weight
- 42 ft - 12.8 meter
- 42 ft - 12.8 meter
- 13 ft 7 in - 4.14 meter
- Draft - max:
- 4 ft 2 in - 1.27 meter
- Bridge Clearance:
- Dry Weight:
- 34000 lbs
- Cruise Speed:
- 10 MPH - 8.69 KTS
- Joystick Control:
- Engine Type:
- Drive Type:
- Fuel Type:
- 120 (Individual), 240 (combined)
- Max Speed:
- 12 MPH - 10.43 KTS
- Fuel Tank:
- 600 gallons - 1 tank(s)
- Fresh Water Tank:
- 245 gallons - 1 tank(s)
- Holding Tank:
- 40 gallons - 1 tank(s)
- Total Cabins:
- Total Berths:
- Total Sleeps:
- Total Heads:
- Captains Cabin:
- Crew Cabins:
- Crew Berths:
- Crew Sleeps:
- Crew Heads:
The Europa layout offers the convenience of one-level living joined by the aft cockpit with a generous main salon. Moving forward from the cockpit into the main salon the L-shaped settee and yacht table is to port and the straight settee is to starboard. There is a entertainment cabinet with TV and stereo in the aftermost starboard corner of the salon. It's rather unique on a boat of this size to have this much livable space on one level due in part to the adjoining protected cockpit. The main salon provides panoramic views and fresh breezes with opening windows on all sides. The high level of craftsmanship is evident in the exquisite teak joiner work and beautiful parquet flooring. The lower steering station on the Europa in comparison to other layouts offers the captain and crew much better unobstructed visibility fore and aft, the ideal location for running in bad weather. Both owners and guest cabins are located forward and share the private Vacu flush head and teak grated stall shower. The primary benefits associated with the Europa layout include a bigger salon-cockpit, longer flybridge and bigger engine room. The most obvious distinction of a Europa configuration is the overhang that provides shade and protection to both port & starboard sidedecks, windows and cockpit ideal for all-weather entertaining and cruising.
- Aluminum framed windows
- All new 1/4" Solex windows (2005)
- LED overhead lights
- 360' visibility from the main deck
- Straight-Settee starboard salon
- Replaced headliner (2005)
- Ultraleather upholstery
- Sunbrella linen colored canvas
- Helm seat re-model
The U-shaped up galley located on the forward port side of the main cabin offers a terrific working space with an excellent view of the surroundings. Whether you're preparing a meal or cleaning up after a feast this galley will be appreciated with numerous upgraded items such as the custom installed trash compactor, generous counterspace and additional storage.
- Cold plate refrigeration with additional freezer located aft in utility room
- Princess three burner propane cooktop model 3572 Trident solenoid switch
- Sharp Carousel convection microwave oven
- U-line ice maker
- Jenn-Air trash compactor
- Corian counter top and sink
- Delta chrome pullout faucet
The master stateroom is forward equipped with a generous V-berth, hanging locker and vanity counter with mirror and teak stool. The V-berth is configured with drawers underneath and over head hatch for ventilation or emergency exit. The master stateroom also has a private entrance into the head and shower.
- Twin reading lights
- Twin opposed sliding windows
- Hanging locker
- Vanity with teak stool
- Lewmar overhead hatch
- V-berth filler piece
The port stateroom is located amidship and features a double berth with pullout drawers for storage underneath and a hanging locker aft. Equipped with sliding pocket door for privacy two opening windows and overhead hatch for ventilation or emergency exit.
- Double bed with drawer storage
- Hanging locker
- Double sliding windows
- Bulkhead reading light
Head & Shower
The head and shower are located amidship on the starboard side. Equipped with a freshwater Sealand Vacuflush head. A stall shower with varnished teak grating. Sink and storage lockers. Two access doors for privacy. Overhead hatch for ventilation and emergency exit. A single sliding window also provides excellent air circulation and natural light.
- Sealand Vacuflush head
- Stall shower
- Lewmar overhead hatch
- New 40 gal holding tank (7/17)
- Macerator pump
Electronics / Navigation
- Garmin chart plotter Model C3010 (2005)
- Com-Nav NXE 1410 autopilot
- Garmin radar dome
- Icom M502 VHF radio with Command Mic on flybridge
- Ritchie compass
- Nexus wind indicator
- Nexus rudder indicator
The large flybridge extends the entertainment area with a custom L-shaped settee for seating on the starboard side. Equipped with a teak finished pedestal table opposite to port is a teak trimmed deck box perfect for additional seating and storage. The stainless steel radar arch allows for a second bimini top to be extended for additional shade. Two pedestal helm seats allow for a more comfortable and improved layout underway or at anchor. The flybridge helm is located to starboard and is equipped with clear venturi screen, 32" stainless steel destroyer type wheel, Morse transmission and throttle cable controls. The flybridge deck is a low maintenance beige non-skid finish.The aftermost area of the flybridge is where the dinghy placement is located. The Steelhead hydraulic davit is to starboard.
- Stainless steel radar arch
- Twin pedestal helm chairs
- Custom L-settee
- Painted non skid fiberglass deck
- Steelhead hydraulic dinghy davit
- 10.5 AB RIB center console dinghy 20 hp Honda outboard motor
Deck & Hull
Signature Grand Banks features include wide, walk around teak decks, substantial bulwarks and sturdy safety rails. Grab rails are located wherever you need a steady hand. The ladder is designed for safe, easy use, even in a rough seaway. A sturdy extended teak swim platform offers convenient boarding or accessing a dinghy.
- Bottom paint 1/19/18
- Wesmar CPS1000 stabilizers
- Keypower electric bow thruster
- Transom door
- Extended swim platform
- 3 step swim ladder
- Galley Maid electric windlass 3 station controls
- Bruce 33 lb anchor 400' chain
- Hot & cold cockpit shower
- Steelhead WD-600 hydraulic dinghy davit
- Stainless steel dinghy cradle
- Fresh water washdown
- (2) 75 watt halogen underwater lights
Ford Lehman 2715E
Lehman pioneered the marinization of engines as far back as 1932. By 1982 the Lehman Econ-O-Power trademark was recognized and respected by boat builders and owners throughout the world. For over 50 years, Lehman had been an organization of dedicated boatmen with a keen appreciation of the proper specification and operation of marine power.
The compact design of Lehman Econ-O-Power diesels with special monobloc cast iron exhaust manifolds has shell type tubular heat exchangers and coolers for streamlined appearance and long lasting operation. The Lehman Econ-O-Power engine is built using a Ford engine as the "base" unit. Lehman manufactured and provided the "conversion" equipment... those parts that are needed to adapt the Ford engine to marine use. One of Lehmans' most popular diesels, this 380 cubic inch engine is conservatively rated at 120 horsepower at 2500 rpm. This model engine has a long history of thoroughbred performance, beginning in 1958 as the Ford Dagenham diesel. Also contributing to the popularity of this engine are the same high performance, high economy features which characterize all Lehman Power diesel marine engines.
The four cycle design, high compression ratio and overhead valves assure clean burning, odor free combustion. The resulting maximization of fuel economy and dependable performance have established this engine as a "pacesetter" among commercial operators, and a favorite of boaters.
Underlying its rugged performance is its rugged construction...a deep, rigid block. The crankshaft is equipped with large diameter crankpins and main bearings. Four hole injectors are fed by an efficient Simms piston-type fuel injection pump which is driven directly by camshaft gearing. This eliminates the exposed auxiliary drive shaft and couplings that were used in earlier models. Lehman diesel marine engines turn counter-clockwise (viewed from the stern of the boat facing forward). Borg-Warner transmissions offer positive acting, smooth dependable performance under varied loads.
- Fresh-water cooled exhaust manifold with patented mono-block design allows lower overall engine height
- Heavy, cast-iron construction for long life and dependability
- 12 volt starting motor
- 55 amp alternators with integral solid state voltage regulator and automatic oil pressure switch (for energizing or disconnecting the system on engine start-up or shut-down).
- Gear driven raw water pump, constructed of bronze with ball bearings for dependability and longer service life. Rubber impeller for maximum water flow.
- Flexible fuel supply line prevents fuel supply line from breaking
- Spin-on, disposable-cartridge oil filter is easily accessible and easy to replace
- Pressurized fresh water cooling system
- Efficient fresh-water cooling through shell and tube-type, copper heat exchanger- with pencil zincs for corrosion resistance. Horizontally mounted to eliminate sediment build-up, with access covers for quick cleaning. No aluminum to rot or disintegrate.
- Efficient oil cooling system
- Flat-type oil sump
- Secondary fuel filters
- Racor water separators
The electrical and mechanical equipment on a Grand Banks is chosen by the engineering department for performance, quality, reliability and ease of maintenance. Installation is done by professionals who are intimately familiar with the operation and service procedures recommended by the individual manufacturers.
To begin with, all wiring is color coded and numbered at both terminals for easy identification for trouble shooting or when adding additional equipment. A well engineered, in house fabricated distribution panel is divided into AC and DC service, with ample circuit breakers for existing and future equipment. A reverse polarity indicator warns of improper dockside connection.
- Onan 7.5 kW generator with sound shield with digital log & trip meter
- 2500 watt Xantrex inverter/ charger
- Link 1000 battery monitor
- 8 six volt dedicated house batteries (2/2015)
- 2 dedicated AGM bow thruster batteries
- 2 dedicated 4-D engine starter batteries (2/2015)
- 50 amp shore power connection aft and 30 amp connection forward
Serious cruisers appreciate the engine room dimensions on the Europa's, excellent because of the accommodating length, providing plenty of working space and room for both Ford Lehman engines, two 300 gallon fuel tanks, and Wesmar Stabilizers. Fresh water pump and accumulator tank, hot water heater, three banks of batteries, and more than enough additional space for spare parts and tools. All systems are relatively easy to access for routine maintenance and inspection. There is also a freshwater washdown located on the forward engine room bulkhead perfect for rinsing out the bilges or topping off batteries. Beneath each engine is a drip pan that prevents any leaking oil or fuel from contaminating the bilges.
- Twin Ford/Lehman 2715E/6D380 6.22L 120 horsepower
- Borg Warner Velvet Drive transmissions
- 1 1/2" Monel propeller shafts
- Dual Racor 500F fuel/water separator/filters
- Wesmar digital stabilizers
- Reverso gear driven oil transfer pump
- Fireboy FE-241 automatic fire suppression system
- Rebuilt raw water pumps installed 6/2017
- Electric bilge blowers
- Seaward 7 gallon hot water heater
The flybridge helm station was replaced to Grand Banks specifications due to a Seattle Yacht Club marina fire in 2002 which damaged the upper deck with no structural damage or water damage to the vessel. The fire source was from another boat within the boat house; fire traveled along the roof line of the boat house and caused flybridge and smoke damage. Due to the inherent value of a Grand Banks Europa, replacement of flybridge structure and modernization to new Grand Banks style was warranted. This included complete cosmetic repairs, a new & improved electrical system was implemented, new plumbing, window glass and soft-goods throughout. Modernization was completed in 2005.
A marine survey dated March 2005 detailing work performed to marine standards. Survey states "no trace of fire damage remains and no signs of any structural damage from fire could be found. All work was found done using the highest quality marine methods and materials.
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.